Nomensa is a strategic UX agency, known across Europe as being one of the first names in user centred design, with one of the largest, most talented teams of user experience professionals and technologists in Europe. Since 2001, we have designed award-winning digital experiences that have reached millions of people.
With almost 100 staff across Bristol, London and Amsterdam, we now have an exciting opportunity for a DevOps Engineer to join our Bristol HQ.
Overview of DevOps at Nomensa
The DevOps team is a relatively new department at Nomensa and so you’ll have plenty of scope to be in control of your own destiny and shape the processes we use. You will be working as part of a team with responsibility for Nomensa’s technical environments for its client projects and internal systems. This encompasses integration, UAT and production environments, and often requires close collaboration with clients to either integrate with or otherwise use environments under their control. Platform technologies used will vary widely between clients, and typical setups will involve integrating CMS environments with cutting-edge technologies, so an experimental, innovative and pragmatic mindset is a must.
Nomensa is on a journey with CI and CD pipelines in its development strategy, so the role will also involve implementing these technologies, as well as supporting the development teams by automating other areas such as in the creation of different environment types. You will be passionate about building the most automated and reliable deployment infrastructure, and implementing systems that extract the maximum possible efficiency through automation while being able to handle unexpected and varying needs.
- Develop, implement and support the Nomensa integration, UAT and Production Linux and Windows environments (cloud and physical server setup)
- Collaborate with the development and software support teams to understand infrastructure requirements
- Lead efforts to automate CI and CD pipelines, and spread knowledge throughout technical teams
- Perform the technical elements of Nomensa’s software releases when necessary, working closely with internal teams and clients
- Help to identify, create and/or implement processes or products to assist in, support and manage releases
- Set up and manage monitoring of server and application environments
- Understand deployment scripts, debug where required, and perform log analysis
- Work closely with the support team and clients to provide knowledge and training
- Mentor junior team members and developers where required and assist in their development in DevOps principles
What we need from you
- Experience of working in an agile software delivery environment
- Building CI/CD pipelines for build test and deployment of code onto target application servers (using Jenkins, GitLab etc)
- Building and supporting platforms in the public cloud services AWS, GCP and Azure
- Working knowledge of containers, Docker, Docker compose and Kubernetes
- Extensive systems administration of Linux servers (CentOS, RHEL, etc)
- Configuration and patch management with tools such as Ansible (preferred)
- Scripting in a common language such as Bash, PHP or Python
- Source control tools such as Git / GitLab
- Administration of and writing basic queries for common SQL platforms (MySQL, MariaDB etc)
- Good technical understanding of web services and APIs
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP networking concepts and major protocols
- Implementation of redundant/high availability solutions
- Good understanding of the full software delivery life-cycle using scrum methodology
- SC clearance would be useful.
How to apply
To apply, upload your CV to our recruitment site with a covering letter telling us why you’d be a great fit.
Note, the role is full-time although we are open to applications for a 0.8FTE or job share arrangement. This role is based in our Bristol office. We are currently enabling hybrid working (i.e. WFH and office based) so you don’t need to be BS1 based every day. These options would be discussed at interview.
The closing date for applications is: Tuesday 7th December
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday (rising to 30 days based on length of service)
- Your birthday off
- Pension: 4% Nomensa, 5% employee
- BUPA cashback plan
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Perkbox benefits
- Life insurance
- Cycle to work
- Time off for charity work
Nomensa is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.