£ 24,000 to £30,000 per annum
Founded in 2001, Nomensa is a strategic UX design agency with a difference. We design world class digital experiences and services for an impressive roster of instantly recognisable clients, and offices in Bristol, London and Amsterdam. As members of W3C we help shape the global best practice accessibility guidelines, and directly contribute to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). Our mission is to Humanise Technology, and we believe that making websites accessible for all is a basic human right, not just a legal requirement.
We are searching for a System Administrator who can help us to transcend the conventional ways of thinking, and build on the excellent work that’s been done already. You’ll be working from home initially, with a few visits to our COVID secure office for work that cannot be done remotely such as asset and server management. We anticipate a hybrid pattern of office/home based working when the pandemic eases.
There is no ‘typical’ day at Nomensa as we are continually evolving and have a relentless pursuit of excellence in everything we do! As System Administrator, you will support the operational running of Nomensa, providing excellent customer service internally and working across both our operations and technical infrastructure teams. This role provides technical support and will help to monitor and maintain ISO 27001 policies and processes.
The System Administrator is responsible for the smooth running of computer systems, both hardware and software ensuring that users get maximum benefits from them with minimal disruption, this includes:
- Software, Access and Asset Management and Provisioning
- Internal Infrastructure
- ISO 27001 Audits and Processes
- Service Desk
You will have a tailored training programme to build upon your foundational knowledge, and be mentored by technical experts within Nomensa to continue to grow and develop your skill set.
Software, Access and Asset Management and Provisioning
- You will be the owner, with support from Operations Manager, on managing and maintaining Nomensa Software, Access (Active Directory and Office365) and Assets across the business.
- You will take on the responsibility to provision, install and configure computer hardware operating systems and applications. Diagnose and solve hardware or software faults and conduct risk assessments and follow change process before rolling out new OS updates and new applications.
- Work closely with suppliers you will ensure all assets are provision and fixed in a timely manner and replace any parts that maybe required.
- Lead continual improvement of hardware and software delivery to our user base, using tools such as InTune to create a great customer experience for our staff of 100 people.
- You will work in partnership with the Senior Operations Manager and Technology Director to identify and create an ongoing software and asset improvement programme to ensure they continue to evolve and meet the needs of the business.
- Working knowledge of maintaining networks of Microsoft Windows, Linux and Apple Mac computers, administering several open and closed source applications and troubleshooting problems. Proactively looking at ways to help the Company and technology grow effectively and efficiently through the use of scripting language (Bash, Powershell etc) to support automation.
- Be a key role internally by supporting the organisation responding to internal software and hardware issues. You’ll be the touchpoint for all of Nomensa, helping everyone do their job and solving their hardware and software problems on a day-to-day basis.
- The role should actively look to make continuous improvement within Nomensa’s infrastructure, through understanding types of issues and trends within the organisation.
- Actively monitor and manage our key internal systems, hardware and networking. Following Nomensa’s ISO:27001 policies and processes combined with vendor best practice to deliver a robust and reliable infrastructure for Nomensa.
- Ensure Nomensa’s infrastructure remains within vendor support and warranty, and propose mitigation or migration plans to the Senior Operations Manager when support or warranty expires.
- Contributes to the Internal IT technology roadmap, to make improvements, bring in new technologies and ways of working to support Nomensans working either in the office or anywhere in the world.
- Undertake out-of-hours support (with additional remuneration)
ISO:27001 Audits and Processes
- You will support the Senior Operations Manager to ensure that Nomensa’s ISO:27001 Framework is continuously managed. This involves ensuring security policies and processes are accurate by completing internal audits across the business. You will have a chance to report findings and work with DevOps and the management team on a continuous improvements strategy.
- Work with DevOps to test run Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Processes, ensuring backup systems are in place and audited.
- Carry out security onboarding for new starters and annual security training to all employees.
- You will be our 1st line support across a small number of clients to manage, communicate and resolve their issues within SLA timeframe.
- You will work with the support of the DevOps team to understand and triage problems this experience will help you develop your knowledge of our systems, how they work and look for opportunities of improvement.
What we need from you
You’ll bring a self-starter attitude, with enthusiasm, and the ability to collaborate with different people in Nomensa and a motivation to deliver great customer service.
Some of the most essential things we are hoping for you to bring to this role are previous experience of:
- Service Desk Management
- Office 365 configuration and management
- Automated software and hardware provisioning
- Asset management
- Understands how to work in a ISO:9001 and ISO:27001 environment
- Operating Systems, inc MacOS, Windows and Linux
- Experience setting up internal and external video solutions (currently we use video station, OBS, YouTube and RTMP) to support business activities
- Active Directory, Azure Active Directory Domain Controllers and credential management
- Microsoft Certification preferred
- Experience of creating and managing backup strategies to ensure business continuity goals are met
- Networking, including firewall, vlan, vpn and ip phone systems
- Securing networks and systems, both physical and logical security
- MDM setup and maintenance
- PowerShell & scripting
We also know that you might not have all of this experience, but could still be the perfect candidate for this position, so we are interested to hear about your behaviours and hidden talents or skills that might not be on your CV. Please don’t be discouraged from applying and telling us what you think you could bring to this role in your covering email.
Why you’ll love #TeamNomensa
Key clients of Nomensa include the MET Office, NHS Digital, Virgin Media, and many interesting, well known charities or recognisable brands in the commercial sector. Over 60% of our revenue now comes from the work we do with government departments and we work on improving many essential public services, making them much more accessible and usable.
We run several successful industry events, such as Interact, Collaborate, and World IA Day. These are an important cog in the marketing engine, and provide thought leadership to the design, development, user experience and accessibility community. We facilitate panel discussions with international design leaders, and the event calendar is growing.
Our people love working here, it’s a supportive working environment where you can expect to work with teams of highly collaborative experts. Nomensa is one of the few companies within the UK to achieve gold standard accreditation by Investors in People, and we are very much committed to giving everyone a strong and supportive platform for ongoing career development.
We work hard to make our working culture one of the best in the industry. As an example, our team of Chief Happiness Officers arrange surprise events and fundraising days throughout the year. It’s an exciting, collaborative environment where we have one focus: humanising technology and designing things in the ‘right’ way. The people you will be working with are very passionate, and have a relentless pursuit of excellence, take pride in their work, and are super-collaborators across Nomensa where we ‘think bigger’ with internal knowledge sharing and commercial ideas. If this sounds like it could be a team that suits your own ethos, then we would love to hear from you.
How to apply
Please upload your details on our recruitment portal. We ask that you include a covering email to explain your reasons for applying and your interest in joining Nomensa, as this will help us to assess your application in more detail, and understand your hidden talents or experiences that might not be on a CV.
Pay & Benefits
The salary range available for this position is: £24,000 to £30,000, depending on experience. There are additional bonuses (£250 pcm) for being on-call and working additional hours.
In addition, we offer a benefits package that includes a holiday allowance of 25 days a year, rising with service over 5 years to a total of 30 days holiday, with a bonus day off for your birthday. We are continually refining our benefits package to make sure this is a great place to work.
Please note, the closing date for applications is Wednesday 24th February.
Nomensa is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
Please note, we are not working with recruitment agencies and will only be able to accept direct applications. Thank you.