RCoA's existing solution was a suite of separate tools, with different interfaces, passwords, functionality; at best jarring to use and at worst entirely prohibitive to completing critical tasks. The technical debt accrued by manually linking multiple systems was proving ever-the-more expensive and opened the door to human error. Add to this mix the introduction of a new dual curriculum (allowing students to 'mix and match' competencies from different specialities) and it was clear a new approach was desperately needed.
The platform would be used by over 7,000 trainees and thousands of other general users, encompassing trainee consultants and senior consultants, not to mention admin and training staff.
Our goal was also to design a tool that would:
- Support the RCoA's vision of educational and cultural transformation
- Provide data to drive policy and education through human behaviour and insight
- Be resilient to inevitable change, and ensure a consistent user experience was maintained long term
- Help defuse some of the day-to-day stress anaesthetists face
- Streamline compulsory tasks behind a user friendly interface that was a joy to use
- Improve quality of learning through recording tasks in real time
The latter objective was particularly important, as memory is famously volatile. The longer we leave between the lesson and its recording, the murkier it becomes. Hence, by filling in forms in real-time we get a better quality information retention, and as a result, we get better doctors.