Nomensa is a strategic experience design agency. Combining our experience in psychology, interaction design and technology, we transform digital experiences.
We work hard to understand people, their emotional reaction to design and create exciting digital interactions in response to this. We have one of the largest specialist teams in Europe, who work with our large, diverse client base across multiple private and public sectors. We design award winning digital experiences that have benefitted millions of people. From blue chips to start-ups, from Deliveroo to the NHS, whatever the sector, we deliver experience excellence.
We’ve grown significantly in the past two years and have ambitious growth plans for the future. We have growing teams across Bristol, London, and Amsterdam, and now have an exciting opportunity for a DevOps Engineer to join our Tech team in Bristol (or remote).
Why choose Nomensa?
We’ve created a supportive working environment where you can expect to work with, and learn from, teams of highly collaborative practitioners. We are one of the few companies within the UK to achieve an Investors in People gold standard accreditation and are committed to giving our people a supportive platform for career development. Employee wellbeing is at the heart of our priorities, we have invested in support mechanisms, such as Wellbeing Officers, Mental Health First Aiders and 121 counselling sessions to support our people when they need it most.
We’re proud of our culture, so why not hear about it from our people?
“I love the people and the culture at Nomensa. I do have truly wonderful colleagues and I get to enjoy my working day with some really brilliant people around me” - Ashleigh, Account Director
We support flexibility and are currently enabling hybrid working, so that teams can come together to collaborate and integrate, as well as maintaining the flexibility to work from home. We work hard at creating an exciting, collaborative environment where we have one focus: humanising technology. The people you will be working with are passionate, care deeply about quality and excellence and take great professional pride in their work.
Overview of DevOps at Nomensa
The DevOps team is a relatively new department at Nomensa and so you’ll have plenty of scope to be in control of your own destiny and shape the processes we use. You will be working as part of a team with responsibility for Nomensa’s technical environments for its client projects and internal systems. This encompasses integration, UAT and production environments, and often requires close collaboration with clients to either integrate with or otherwise use environments under their control. Platform technologies used will vary widely between clients, and typical setups will involve integrating CMS environments with cutting-edge technologies, so an experimental, innovative and pragmatic mindset is a must.
Nomensa is on a journey with CI and CD pipelines in its development strategy, so the role will also involve implementing these technologies, as well as supporting the development teams by automating other areas such as in the creation of different environment types. You will be passionate about building the most automated and reliable deployment infrastructure, and implementing systems that extract the maximum possible efficiency through automation while being able to handle unexpected and varying needs.
- Develop, implement and support the Nomensa integration, UAT and Production Linux and Windows environments (cloud and physical server setup)
- Collaborate with the development and software support teams to understand infrastructure requirements
- Lead efforts to automate CI and CD pipelines, and spread knowledge throughout technical teams
- Perform the technical elements of Nomensa’s software releases when necessary, working closely with internal teams and clients
- Help to identify, create and/or implement processes or products to assist in, support and manage releases
- Set up and manage monitoring of server and application environments
- Understand deployment scripts, debug where required, and perform log analysis
- Work closely with the support team and clients to provide knowledge and training
- Mentor junior team members and developers where required and assist in their development in DevOps principles
What we’re looking for
- Experience of working in an agile software delivery environment
- Experience of working with Azure and Azure DevOps (essential)
- Building CI/CD pipelines for build test and deployment of code onto target application servers (using Jenkins, GitLab etc)
- Building and supporting platforms in the public cloud services AWS, GCP and Azure
- Working knowledge of containers, Docker, Docker compose and Kubernetes
- Extensive systems administration of Linux servers (CentOS, RHEL, etc)
- Configuration and patch management with tools such as Ansible (preferred)
- Scripting in a common language such as Bash, PHP or Python
- Source control tools such as Git / GitLab
- Administration of and writing basic queries for common SQL platforms (MySQL, MariaDB etc)
- Good technical understanding of web services and APIs
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP networking concepts and major protocols
- Implementation of redundant/high availability solutions
- Good understanding of the full software delivery life-cycle using scrum methodology
- SC clearance would be useful.
Our benefits for UK employees include:
- Time to recharge: 25 days holiday (rising to 30 with length of service), your birthday off, holiday transfer scheme (up to 5 days), Summer Fridays’.
- Health & Wellbeing: BUPA cashback scheme (enhancing to BUPA medical insurance with service), 24/7 EAP, life insurance, cycle to work scheme.
- Financial wellbeing: competitive salaries and annual pay reviews, company pension contribution, Royal London financial wellbeing service.
- Life outside of work: currently enabling hybrid working, employee discounts scheme, time off for charity work, regular socials and fun events arranged by our Chief Happiness Officers!
The application process
The closing date for applications is: 30th September
If you’re excited about working for us and don’t have all the skills listed here, but have relevant experience or transferable skills, we would love to hear from you. We understand it can be off-putting to apply if you don’t tick every box, but our culture is richer for the diverse backgrounds of our employees, and you may be exactly what we’re looking for!
Interview Adjustments - We will do everything possible to create the best experience for candidates, however we appreciate interviews can be challenging. So, please let us know if we can make any adjustments to make you more comfortable or confident. We’re happy to provide extra time or flexibility on assessments, have a chaperone on the interview, provide questions up front, or other suggestions to enhance your experience.
Sophie & Corrie in our Talent team can help with any questions - TalentAcquisitionTeam@nomensa.com.
Nomensa is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.